In page navigation:
Pre-competitive soccer is for all boys and girls in pre-k through 2nd grade (teams are formed by grade, not by birth year) looking for an introduction to the game. The focus is to teach, educate and develop these new players to the sport and have them continue with our program into our competitive and academy soccer programs. We want to develop future soccer players with a focus on the skills to be able to compete at the next level.
This program is where Overland Park Soccer Club started. It is for boys and girls from pre-k to 2nd grade players. Teams are formed by grade (not birth year) and are typically organized by school of attendance.
All pre-K and kindergarten games are played at Roe Park. 1st grade & 2nd grade games are played at both Roe Park or at Scheels Overland Park Soccer Complex.
Recreational & Pre-Competitive Development League Calendar
- Pre-k & K: 6 games played over 8 weekends (Pre-K only plays Saturday mornings ).
- 1st & 2nd grade: 8 games over 10 weekends.
- Monday February 27, 2017: Mandatory OPSC pre-competitive coaches meeting at OPSC office (7230 W. 79th St., Overland Park, KS 66204) @ 5:30 for pre-K, 6:30 for U6, and 7:45 for U7 & U8.
- Kindergarten sign ups for practice fields (need to attend meeting to sign up)
- Player uniforms distributed to coaches
- Pre-k and kindergarten coach conflict dates due to scheduler Glen Hattrup at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration open: Teams are forming now – Please register ASAP, season starts March 25
- March 25: League play begins
- April 16: Easter, no games
- May 5-7: OPSC Soccer Tournament for U8-10 teams @ Roe Park (not just for OPSC teams –
- May 6-7: League play only at OP complex
- May 13: Picture day and medal pick up
- May 14: Mother’s Day – no league play
- May 18/19: Rainout weekend for make up games
- May 30 – June 1: OPSC camp for players and goalies pre-k through U8 @ Roe Park 9 – 11:30 am (register on our camps page)
- June 5-8: Pre-tryout camp for competitive players (register on our camps page)
- June 9-11: Competitive tryouts (U8-U19)
• Pre-k through 2nd grade (8 and under) is $75 per season
• 8 games per season – Spring season is March-May; Fall season is August –October
• A late fee may apply for late registration, please check the website for dates
• Players will not be placed on a team until payment has been received
• Refund policy
OPSC’s goal in this league is to provide soccer development for all who wish to play. Coaches and teams are kept together as possible, however, no coach may refuse a player from his team. We have many players sign up without a coach and they are placed on an available team closest to their home.
New players: Will be placed on a team following the registration deadline. You will receive your assigned coach’s contact info via email. Please contact them for season information.
Returning players: Please contact your coach for season information.
Starting Fall 2016, orange and blue reversible jerseys are provided for all pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st-grade and 2nd-grade players. They can be used for home and away games and are meant to last the Kindergarten, First, and Second-grade seasons.
Black soccer shorts and black soccer socks are recommended because they don’t show dirt stains as much.
Shin guards are also required to play. These items are not furnished by the club, but may be purchased at any sporting goods store. OPSC prefers the hard or plastic shin guard with the ankle protection. We have found it protects the players legs and ankles the best. OPSC does not recommend the sock shin guard combination because it does not protect the shin very well.
Soccer socks must be worn over shin guards.
Soccer cleats or tennis shoes may be worn at the games, but not baseball or football cleats. Baseball and football cleats have a toe cleat at the tip of the shoe which can injure a player when kicked.
No jewelry allowed, including earrings or watches. Medical bracelets must be taped down on the wrist.
Pre-K thru Kindergarten:
Games are played at Roe Park (104th and Roe). See maps below.
1st and 2nd grade:
Games are played at Roe Park (104th and Roe) and Scheels Overland Park Soccer Complex (135th and Switzer) on Saturdays and Sundays.
Nall/Roe Park fields for OPSC pre-k, kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade (U5-U8) games & team practices please call 913-905-6030.
Roe and Nall park will be updated on the rainout line by 4pm weekdays and 7am on weekends due to inclement weather and as needed through the weekend. The Overland Park Soccer Complex has their own rainout line at 913-307-3684 (http://heartlandsoccer.net/). Heartland also has an app, email & text alerts you can sign up for here.
OPSC parent code of conduct
(All Players Parents Must Sign To Play Soccer)